Posts tagged "allergic reaction"

Can my child catch eczema from other kids at school?

Is Eczema Contagious?

 

You cannot catch eczema from touching the skin of someone with eczema. Eczema is not contagious; it cannot be spread from one child to another. Eczema can make your child’s skin feel hot and itchy. It can be sore and weepy, making it hard to sleep.

Read more…


How Is the Body System Affected by Poison Ivy?

How Is the Body System Affected by Poison Ivy?

Urushiol, the oil present in poison ivy, could cause harm to the body. When a person is exposed to it, he may experience allergic reactions. But some people do not react to it right away. It really depends with every individual, and the number of times he had been exposed to the oil. Some may have the reaction after a few hours of exposure, and others may have a delayed response. It takes them a week or more, usually up to ten days. The reason for the delayed response is that it takes time for the body to produce the certain T-cells.

The T-cells are small circulating lymphocytes produced in the bone marrow that matures in the thymus or as a result of exposure to thymosin secreted by the thymus. They live for many years and have several functions in the body but primarily mediate cellular immune responses. They are like guards and soldiers who look out for the invaders in the body.

In exposure to poison ivy, the oil clings to the skin. Because of that, the person experiences itching, and rashes appear. The rashes at the beginning usually look like small red bumps. Later, it turns into blisters in varying size. Some may appear small, some large. The rashes may ooze, but put into mind that it does not spread the poison. It is only spread by being exposed to the oil again, wherein it stays usually on the clothing and shoes used. When poison ivy is burned, it is very dangerous and poses a great risk to those people who would be able to inhale its smoke.

Rashes may occur in the lining of the lungs, causing extreme pain and difficulty in breathing. When poison ivy is eaten, it may damage the mucus lining of the mouth as well as the digestive tract. Poison ivy rash usually lasts from one to four weeks, depending on the severity and treatment received by the person. In some cases, anaphylaxis may occur.

Anaphylaxis is an exaggerated hypersensitivity reaction to a previously encountered antigen. The response, which is mediated by antibodies of the IgE class of immunoglobulins, causes the release of histamine, kinin, and substances that affect smooth muscle. In severe cases, bronchospasm and shock may occur. The severity of symptoms depends on the original sensitizing dose of the antigen, the amount and distribution of antibodies, and the route of entry and size of the dose of antigen producing anaphylaxis.


What Medications Will Be Prescribed To Treat Poison Ivy?

What Medications Will Be Prescribed To Treat Poison Ivy?

Prescription medications are not needed unless the person has a severe allergic reaction.
Antihistamines are usually prescribed to relieve the itching and swelling.  For all other poison ivy
allergic reactions, you only need topical poison ivy products to treat poison ivy rashes.  We will talk about those below.

How do you treat poison ivy rashes?

For mild poison ivy allergic reactions, an Antihistamine helps with the itching is discomfort.  Antihistamine is any substance capable of reducing the physiologic and pharmacologic effects of
histamine. It provides relief of symptoms associated with mild, uncomplicated urticaria and

Many such drugs are available as nonprescriptive medicines. Some of the popular brands are Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton. These over the counter antihistamines work well with the topical creams.

It is contraindicated to people with allergy to any antihistamines, third trimester pregnancy, and
lactation. It must be used cautiously to people with narrow angle glaucoma, stenosing peptic ulcer,
symptomatic hypertrophy, asthmatic attack, bladder neck obstruction, pyloroduodenal obstruction,
pregnancy and to elderly patients who may be sensitive to anticholinergic effects. A common side effect that occurs when taking this drug is sedation, so you must be cautious enough when driving or when you perform tasks which require alertness. And, avoid alcohol for serious sedation may occur.

Corticosteroid is responsible for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive actions. It is available
in oral and topical form for the purpose of providing relief in people with severe or incapacitating
allergic conditions and, to relieve inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of dermatoses that are
steroid responsive. A popular oral corticosteroid is Prednisone. Corticosteroids must be used cautiously in pregnant and lactating women. It is contraindicated to people with fungal infections, amebiasis, hepatitis B, vaccinia, or varicella, and antibiotic-resistant infections, immunosuppression. Some of the side effects of corticosteroid are nausea, vomiting, headache, immunosuppression, aggravation or masking of infections, and impaired wound healing. Prolonged use of this should be avoided.

Antibiotics are antimicrobial agents derived from cultures of a microorganism or produced semi
synthetically, used to treat infections. It inhibits cell wall synthesis of sensitive organisms, causing
cell death. When the skin affected with poison ivy is infected due to scratching, antibiotics are used.

There are two ways to administer it, orally and topically. It depends with your physician so consult
first; never make your own prescription. Antibiotics must be used cautiously with renal disorders,
pregnancy, and lactation. It is contraindicated with allergies to penicillins, celphalosphorins, procaine, or other allergens. Some of its side effects are gastritis, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, anemia, and superinfections. For the oral route, it must be taken on an empty stomach, 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after meals, with a full glass of water to enhance absorption of the antibiotics. For topical route, wash and rinse the affected area first. Then pat it dry before applying the solution. Use fingertips or use an applicator to apply, and then wash hands thoroughly after you treat poison ivy rash.


« Previous PageNext Page »