What is Jock Itch
Jock itch (tinea cruris) is a pretty common fungal infection of the groin and upper thighs. Jock itch is also sometimes called crack fungus, crotch itch, bag rot or crotch rot, dhobi itch (after Indian washermen). It is a common fungal infection that affects the skin of your inner thighs, buttocks and genitals. Men and women encounter the disease worldwide, although it is seen more often in the humid tropics. The rash may affect only your groin, but it may spread to include your inner thighs, genitals, and areas around your anus, rectum, or Lesions caused by jock itch can extend from the crease between the inner thigh and pelvis, over the adjacent upper inner thigh, and into the anal area. Jock itch occurs almost exclusively in adult men. It can sometimes accompany athlete’s foot and ringworm. The fungus that causes jock itch thrives in warm, moist areas. As it grows, it spreads out in a circle, leaving normal-looking skin in the middle. This makes it look like a ring. At the edge of the ring, the skin is lifted up by the irritation and looks red and scaly. Many people with tinea cruris also have athlete’s foot. Athlete’s foot is called tinea pedis.
Jock itch gets its name because it is common in people who sweat a lot, like athletes. The medical name for all of these types of fungal infections is a tinea infection, and the medical name for jock itch is tinea cruris (pronounced: tih -nee-uh krur -us). It also often occurs in people who are overweight, but anyone can get the infection. Jock itch may be contagious. Some kinds of fungi live on damp surfaces, like the floors in public showers or locker rooms. You can easily pick up a Jock Itch fungus there. It can be passed from one person to the next by direct skin-to-skin contact or contact with unwashed clothing. Jock itch usually stays around the creases in the upper thigh and does not involve the scrotum.
Other Resources – Get the Jock Itch Facts
- Specially Formulated Jock Itch Treatment
- Jock Itch Indications
- Who Gets Jock Itch?
- Wiki – Jock Itch
- All About Jock Itch
Symptoms of these Jock Itch infections can vary depending on where they are on the body. The most common etiologic agents for tinea cruris or Jock Itch include Trichophyton rubrum and Epidermophyton floccosum ; less commonly Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Trichophyton verrucosum are involved. The source of the Jock Itch fungus is usually the soil, an animal (usually a cat, dog, or rodent), or most often, another person. Staying in a bathing suit greatly increases your chances of acquiring Jock Itch.
The common causes and risk factor’s of Jock itch include the following:
Jock itch is caused by fungi called dermatophytes. These microscopic organisms are normal inhabitants of your skin, and stay in check as long as your skin is clean and dry.
People taking broad-spectrum antibiotics, with weakened immune systems, or who have diabetes are more at risk to develop the rash.
Wearing tight clothes or athletic supporters can aggravate the problem further.
Lichen simplex chronicus.
Jock itch may spread to the anus, causing anal itching and discomfort.
Jock itch Chemical irritation.
Some sign and symptoms related to Jock itch are as follows:
A circular, red, raised rash with elevated edges.
Itching and redness in your groin, including your genitals, inner thighs, buttocks and anal area.
Flaking, peeling or cracking skin in your groin.
Abnormally dark or light skin.
You may have other fungal skin rashes such as athlete’s foot or ringworm on other body parts.
In long-standing infections, the rash becomes less itchy and less red, and the plaques may fuse together.
Here is list of the methods for treating Jock itch:
Jock itch is treated with one of two types of antifungal medications — azoles or allylamines.
For a mild case of jock itch, your doctor may suggest first using an over-the-counter antifungal ointment, lotion, powder or spray.
Keep the skin clean and dry to prevent Jock Itch.
Apply topical over-the-counter antifungal or drying powders, such as those that contain miconazole, clotrimazole, or tolnaftate.
Wash and then dry the area using a clean towel.
Tolnaftate (Tinactin, Aftate) and undecylenate (Cruex, Desenex) are well-known, effective medications.
Haloprogin (Halotex) — Agent for use in the treatment of tinea cruris.
Juliet Cohen writes articles for diseases cure and health care information. She also writes articles on healing remedies.
Best Value! This Powerful pack is excellent for people suffering with moderate to severe forms of Jock Itch. TheJock Itch Super Pack stops the spread and prevents re-infection. Cleanse, soothe and repair skin damaged by burning Jock Itch with the All Stop products, and remove the fungus from your environment with the PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray to avoid re-infection. Get rid of Jock Itch once and for all!
Jock Itch Problem
That I could just buy from a pharmacy? I’m 16 but yes its called lamisil or if you have any anti-fungal cream for athletes foot using that works well. Jock itch is a fungal infection which is from the sweating and heat. So it will help get rid of it.
Jock itch occurs when a particular type of fungus grows and spreads in the groin area.
Jock itch occurs mostly in adult men and adolescent boys. It can sometimes accompany athlete’s foot and ringworm. The fungus that causes jock itch thrives in warm, moist areas.
Jock itch can be triggered by friction from clothes and prolonged wetness in the groin area, such as from sweating.
Jock itch may be contagious. It can be passed from one person to the next by direct skin-to-skin contact or contact with unwashed clothing.
Additional Jock Itch Resources
- How Is Jock Itch Diagnosed?
- Who Gets Jock Itch?
- Medicated Jock Itch Treatment
- Jock Itch Prevention
- Jock Itch Overview
Jock itch is the popular name given to an itchy rash in the groin that commonly involves the inner thighs and adjacent skin, including the scrotum in males. The medical name for rash in the creases of overlapping skin is “intertrigo.” Jock itch is associated with sweating, friction/abrasion, occlusive clothing, and the direct rubbing of skin on skin. The rash may affect not only the groin, but it can involve any areas of skin that overlap, including around the anus and in the skin folds of obese individuals. Jock itch affects men and occasionally women worldwide.
Best Jock Itch Treatment
It is the Best Value! This Powerful pack is excellent for people suffering with moderate to severe forms of Jock Itch. TheJock Itch Super Pack stops the spread and prevents re-infection. Cleanse, soothe and repair skin damaged by burning Jock Itch with the All Stop products, and remove the fungus from your environment with the PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray to avoid re-infection. Get rid of Jock Itch once and for all!
For Medium to Severe Cases of Jock Itch
- (1) 2 oz. / 59 ml Medicated Skin Cream
- (1) 2 oz. / 59 ml Healing Gel
- (1) 18 oz. / 532 ml Medicated Body Wash
- (1) 32 oz. / 946 ml PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray
It’s the ONE STOP pack for people who want to get rid of Jock Itch ONCE AND FOR ALL! Stops it from spreading and also prevents you from re-infecting yourself in other places by disinfecting your environment. Begin feeling relief, without the burning and itching, and enjoy your life without the discomfort of Jock Itch.
Factoids on This Topic
- Jock itch, like other tinea infections, is caused by several types of mold-like fungi called dermatophytes.
- Formation of fluid filled blisters within the genital region is also one of the common jock itch symptoms that may be found in some patients.
- The correct medical term for this type of fungal infection is tinea cruris but apart from jock itch, it is also known by many common names across the globe such crotch itch, gym itch, groin ringworm and dhobie itch.
- Ringworm of the groin and upper thigh area (tinea cruris) is commonly called Jock itch, scrotum itch or crotch rot.
- Jock itch is a fungal infection of the skin.
- Female jock itch occurs most frequently in active women who work out a lot, since clothing gets easily moist from sweat and bacteria. Fungus can readily grow.
- Jock itch, also known astinea cruris, is a fungal infection of the skin in the groin.
- The best home remedies for jock itch include bathing daily.
- Jock itch is also called ringworm of the crotch or tinea cruris.
- Never wear tight clothing because this can make your jock itch worse.
- Using a high quality antifungal soap helps to shorten the agony of jock itch symptoms.
I have a Jock Itch experience or penis itch. Alright, here is how my story goes, I’ve had MRSA twice in the last maybe 2 to 3 months,thigh and penis itching at night. It wasn’t bad enough for hospitalization so I was put on Clindamycin for 10 days both times.
As of the last 2 weeks, I’ve developed what I thought was male jock itch because of itching penis. Red burning itchy patchy oozing areas on thighs and under testicles. Let me tell you guys, this is hell… ITCHING AND BURNING and the ooze just makes for thinking you pee’d yourself a little about jock itch..
the jock itch Wasn’t getting any better so I bought Lamisil Spray for it about 5 days ago.
Been spraying once at night as directed, wearing really loose airy gym shorts, showering once a day not using harsh soap that would burn or irritate what little skin I had left there. Well it doesn’t look like its getting much better either.
Resources of Interest : Jock Itch
- The Jock Itch Fungus
- Jock Itch Signs and Symptoms
- What Causes Jock Itch?
- Diagnosing Jock Itch
- The Foods Affecting Jock Itch
- Best Jock Itch Remedies
A week ago I’ve been having penis troubles as well.. jock itch on penis.. I think I have jock itch. The base around my penis especially under where it rests on my balls is itchy and dry. Is this jock itch?
and my foreskin is TIGHT CRACKED AND HURTS! (been applying a lot of bacitracin to help with elasticity) I can barely pull it back to pee without wanting to kick the toilet!
There’s nothing on the head of my penis, nothing looks infected its just itchy scaly dry rough skin all around the rest of the penis.
I was wondering if this has to do with jock itch or is yeast infection. I know both are fungal but could the jock itch be a symptom of the yeast infection or vice versa? Also does this has anything to do with me taking such strong antibiotics lately for jock itch?How to treat Jock itch?
Unfortunately my GF also contracted mrsa from me within the time period and has been on Doxycyclin twice.. we’ve just been trying to take care of each other…it sucks.
Any Suggestion for Jock Itch Treatment?
Why does the skin around my penis itch? Does anyone know any remedies or OTC jock itch treatments i can look into? Please help share some knowledge on this topic about jock itch…as i am currently uninsured and the internet is quite scary at times..how to make your crotch stop itching?
PS. We are both clean down there if you were wondering… plus.. she got her blood drawn like 6 times in the past couple months showing nothing but mrsa.
I have used the Allstop Jock Itch Treatment successfully several times. They also supply you with step by step information on prevention that I sometimes forget about and get lazy. The main thing is to keep your bathroom area disinfected using a hospital grade disinfectant. They have a concentrated kind that is very cost effective. Just saying.
Jock Itch Super Pack. This Powerful pack is excellent for people suffering with moderate to severe forms of Jock Itch. The Jock Itch Super Pack stops the spread and prevents re-infection. Cleanse, soothe and repair skin damaged by burning Jock Itch with the All Stop products, and remove the fungus from your environment with the PuraCleenRx Disinfectant Spray to avoid re-infection. Get rid of Jock Itch once and for all!
All Stop Medicated Skin Cream, formally called Sulfinex, is a specifically-designed, topical cream that provides quick relief from redness, pain, warmth, and swelling from damaged inflammed skin. The redness, warmth, pain, and swelling are the results of repairing damage that was caused to the skin. If there were no inflammation, wounds would never heal, but if inflammations were to spread too far, a host of other diseases would ensue.
- Jock itch in women is best prevented by using basic good hygiene.
- Jock itch is a very bothersome skin ailment that can be very humiliating but it is often definitely not serious.
- Jock itch usually stays around the creases in the upper thigh and does not involve the scrotum or penis.
- In cases where the jock itch does erupt into blisters use warm compresses for comfort but avoid purposefully breaking them as that can lead to scarring.
- Jock itch, athlete’s foot, and ringworm are all types of fungal skin infections known collectively as tinea.
- Many people with jock itch also have athlete’s foot and these same creams can be applied to the feet.
- When you develop jock itch you will be plagued with a red rash that produces intense itching.
- A woman can develop jock itch with or without exposure to another person who has it, but sexual contact increases that possibility.
- Jock itch is caused by organisms called dermatophytes, which include a group of fungi that normally infects the top layer of dead skin, nails, and hair.
- Many catch jock itch in warm, moist public places like restrooms and locker rooms.
- After showering and rinsing well, you will have to dry these areas thoroughly.
- Jock itch, also called tinea cruris, is a fungal infection in the groin.