Poison Ivy and what to do, when affected by it.
Poison Ivy is a plant that is widely found through most of North America and is known in two main varieties – Western, or Pacific, and Atlantic. The concern with Poison Ivy, which grows as ground cover and can become large bushes, is that it contains an oil – Urushiol – that, when it comes into contact with our skin, causes very unpleasant blistering and irritation.
It is vital to understand that the oil occurs not just in the leaves but in all of the plant, including the root and the stem, and it is the immune system pushing against the poison, as it seeps into the skin, that is the root of the pain we experience.
Why Poison Ivy is poisonous?
It may seem unusual to us that at plant should be poisonous, but like the best living things Poison Ivy has its home in the ecosystem. The way it grows is a guide as it is used as shelter for lower growing plants and ground dwelling animals, and the majority of them are, unlike humans, not affected by the oil.
Plus, Poison Ivy bears berries that are an important foodstuff for a great number of bird species.
Gloves and coats, and also boots, are among the most obvious causes of Poison Ivy infection and should be scrubbed thoroughly if contamination is suspected.
How anyone can become infected?
There are numerous ways that an individual can come into contact with the oil from Poison Ivy, and transfer from affected clothing and other items is one reason as we have already noted.
The reason that we suffer when having come into contact with the oil is because of the necessary reaction it promotes, and it is notable that direct contact with the plant is not imperative to induce a reaction.
If Poison Ivy is burned the smoke is mixed with vaporized oil, and even coming into contact with this smog can induce an attack. It has been said that a 100 year old item once affected a person, an indication of how troublesome the plant can be.
Anything that has touched the sap of the plant must be avoided, therefore, and dogs kept away from Poison Ivy bushes.
How to look after a sufferer of a Poison Ivy reaction
It is essential that treatment is attempted immediately, and the best method is to wash the problematic area in warm water. A sensible recommendation is to use a very powerful antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the trouble ever more.
It is imperative to score the blisters, too, and to bring the area of infection exposure to the air. Keeping blisters bandaged is imperative in order not to allow infection.
Remember that it is just the oil that will allow the infection to spread, so contact with it should be treated with caution.
The condition will, at some point, clear up by itself, but there are treatments available for the irritation and for extreme reactions. It is the domain of the individual whether to let it die naturally or to invite further help. Some individuals are fortunate in that they have no sensitivity to Poison Ivy, but these are scarece and most of us would be infected by coming into contact with the bush.
Know More About Poison Ivy Itch
Best Poison Ivy Rash Remedy
Medicated Healing gel that quiets the burning and relieves the itch from Poison Ivy, Poison oak and Poison Sumac while helping heal the skin damage. Specialized surfactant base washes skin and removes urushiol without abrasives that can cause skin damage in serious outbreaks.
Kills Bacteria and Infection and Helps heal the skin
- You will not have to worry about infection for scratching the skin
- Neutralizes the poison ivy oil to stop the allergic reaction
- Feel confident because you will not have sores on your body from the poison ivy rash
- Return to normal life activities and regain quality of life without poison ivy
- Peace of mind knowing that you are doing everything you can to stop the itch and heal the skin at the same time
- Your skin will return better than it was before the poison ivy
- You have the satisfaction of knowing you can control the inflammation from your poison ivy rash
If one sees Poison Ivy the best advice we can give is the most logical – avoid it very carefully and don’t let your pet near it.