What is the best home remedy for poison ivy? I am pregnant, so there is a lot I can’t take – medicine wise.
Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):
first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.
Unfortunately, if you wait more than 10 minutes, the urushiol will likely stay on your skin and trigger the poison ivy rash. You may not be able to stop it on your skin, but you might still scrub your nails and wipe off your shoes, etc., so that you don’t spread the urushiol to new areas.
Commercial products, like Zanfel, Ivy Cleanse Towelettes, and Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub, are also available over-the-counter, if you don’t want to use rubbing alcohol.
Remember that poison ivy isn’t contagious though, so touching the rash won’t actually spread it.
Since your kids get poison ivy a lot, having a ‘poison ivy action kit’ ready, with rubbing alcohol, a large bottle of water, and some soap, might be a good idea. Since rubbing alcohol can be poisonous, children should be supervised with it though and it is not something you should send off into the woods with them.
Preventing Poison Ivy
In addition to getting rid of poison ivy when you find it, you can avoid poison ivy by:
wearing long pants and a shirt with long sleeves, boots and gloves when your kids will be most at risk, especially when playing in wooden areas, around lakes, or going on hikes
apply Ivy-Block to exposed areas
Looking for safe and non-toxic topical gel for poison ivy, oak or sumac treatment? Get your Poison Ivy healing gel today!
What is poison Ivy?
Poison Ivy is found in every state in the US except Alaska, California, Colorado, Idaho, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Oregon, Washington, North Dakota, Montana, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and Wyoming.
Poison Oak is found only in the following states which are California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
One of the best poison ivy treatments is avoidance. Poison ivy works by an oil that is secreted by the plants leaves. When poison ivy touches your skin, it sticks, and causes an allergic reaction. The poison ivy oil is very easily transferred from one part of the body to another, and can be transferred from one person or animal to another. This is why when your dog runs through the poison ivy and you pet him later, you get poison ivy.
Poison ivy treatment should begin immediately after exposure. If the area of the skin that came into contact with t[poison ivy is scrubbed vigorously under water within thirty minutes of exposure, the allergic reaction could be minimized, and even a washing with soap within six hours can help decrease the intensity of the reaction.
More Poison Ivy Treatment Resources:
- Most Effective Poison Ivy Treatment
- Poison Ivy Information
- Poison Ivy Kids
- Poison Ivy: Weed Description
- Poison Ivy Facts
Poison Ivy and It’s Onset
The patient will very quickly undergo irritation in the skin, combined with severe itching and inflammation in the troubled area touched with poison ivy. The skin will become discolored and a burning feeling will occur, and in a short period blisters will form along with the rash.
Suffering from poison ivy can persist for many weeks or may be done with within days, and every case is different. It is suggested that cooling the skin is a good antidote and also prevents further poison ivy infection.
Preventive medicines help cure poison ivy, before exposure. Immediate showering after exposure with strong laundry soap and lukewarm water also helps. But the best preventative is to know the plant and stay away from it. “Leaflets three, let it be” is a good axiom.
Now for the remedy. Before going on outdoor trips, be positive you know what poison ivy looks like. Avoid it completely if you can. Poison ivy is a “natural” in timbered areas. Stay on regular paths when in parks.
Poison ivy, like any other weed, must be dug out at the roots if you want to kill the plant completely. You’ll need to dig a good eight to ten inches into the ground to be sure you remove all of the roots, as poison ivy can grow complicated root structure. This is how to get rid of poison ivy so that it will not come back.
It is essential that treatment is initiated immediately, and the best method is to wash the affected area in warm water. A sensible recommendation is to use a very powerful antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the trouble ever more.
Oil that is found in the Poison Ivy plant is called urushiol oil. The allergic reaction, itchy skin, and painful blisters is a result when coming into contact with the poisonous plant. If the oil isn’t washed off the skin instantly, you can spread the rash even worse. Touching the contaminated part then another part of your body can spread the oil throughout your skin, causing a painful reaction to the
Poison Ivy is a plant that is widely found through most of North America and is known in two main varieties – Western, or Pacific, and Atlantic. The concern with Poison Ivy, which grows as ground cover and can become large bushes, is that it contains an oil – Urushiol – that, when it comes into contact with our skin, causes very unpleasant blistering and irritation.
It is vital to understand that the oil occurs not just in the leaves but in all of the plant, including the root and the stem, and it is the immune system pushing against the poison, as it seeps into the skin, that is the root of the pain we experience.
Why Poison Ivy is poisonous?
It may seem unusual to us that at plant should be poisonous, but like the best living things Poison Ivy has its home in the ecosystem. The way it grows is a guide as it is used as shelter for lower growing plants and ground dwelling animals, and the majority of them are, unlike humans, not affected by the oil.
Plus, Poison Ivy bears berries that are an important foodstuff for a great number of bird species.
Gloves and coats, and also boots, are among the most obvious causes of Poison Ivy infection and should be scrubbed thoroughly if contamination is suspected.
How anyone can become infected?
There are numerous ways that an individual can come into contact with the oil from Poison Ivy, and transfer from affected clothing and other items is one reason as we have already noted.
The reason that we suffer when having come into contact with the oil is because of the necessary reaction it promotes, and it is notable that direct contact with the plant is not imperative to induce a reaction.
If Poison Ivy is burned the smoke is mixed with vaporized oil, and even coming into contact with this smog can induce an attack. It has been said that a 100 year old item once affected a person, an indication of how troublesome the plant can be.
Anything that has touched the sap of the plant must be avoided, therefore, and dogs kept away from Poison Ivy bushes.
How to look after a sufferer of a Poison Ivy reaction
It is essential that treatment is attempted immediately, and the best method is to wash the problematic area in warm water. A sensible recommendation is to use a very powerful antimicrobial soap and to do all one can to stop the patient from scratching, as this will spread the trouble ever more.
It is imperative to score the blisters, too, and to bring the area of infection exposure to the air. Keeping blisters bandaged is imperative in order not to allow infection.
Remember that it is just the oil that will allow the infection to spread, so contact with it should be treated with caution.
The condition will, at some point, clear up by itself, but there are treatments available for the irritation and for extreme reactions. It is the domain of the individual whether to let it die naturally or to invite further help. Some individuals are fortunate in that they have no sensitivity to Poison Ivy, but these are scarece and most of us would be infected by coming into contact with the bush.
Know More About Poison Ivy Itch
Best Poison Ivy Rash Remedy
Medicated Healing gel that quiets the burning and relieves the itch from Poison Ivy, Poison oak and Poison Sumac while helping heal the skin damage. Specialized surfactant base washes skin and removes urushiol without abrasives that can cause skin damage in serious outbreaks.
Kills Bacteria and Infection and Helps heal the skin Poison Ivy the best advice we can give is the most logical – avoid it very carefully and don’t let your pet near it.
Factoids on This Topic
- Typical poison ivy symptoms include red, dry, itchy skin, and blisters that drain fluid and may be tender or painful.
- Once urushiol enters the skin, it is difficult to get rid of poison ivy rashes quickly.
- As one of the easiest poison ivy rash treatment cures you can make, the Oatmeal Relief should be tried first.
- Hydrocortisone creams, used to relieve itching, are not strong enough on poison ivy rashes.
- Hydrocortisone creams or sprays also reduce the inflammation, swelling, and itching of poison ivy rashes.
- Common table salt is another quick poison ivy home remedy and chances are high that if nothing else, you will have this in your kitchen.
- If you are near the ocean anywhere, get into the water, lightly break the poison ivy blisters with sand and let the ocean water get at it.
- One of the mainstays of poison ivy treatment is calamine lotion.