Yes, it is possible to have eczema symptoms just on your hands. Hand eczema or hand dermatitis is common and affects about 10% of the population. It is usually from a combination of sensitive skin and irritation or an allergic reaction from things like dish washing detergents, soaps or even lotions.
Eczema can affect people of any age, although the condition is most common in infants. Studies have shown that hand eczema is most common in people under the age of 40. It is also most common in women than in men. Also people who have atopic dermatitis are more at risk in developing hand eczema.
The causes of eczema have not yet been fully determined. It is not contagious; however hand eczema is usually caused by external factors or trigger factors. Some allergens causing had eczema can be nickel, soap, perfume, preservatives or rubber materials. It is important to guard your hands by wearing heavy duty gloves and putting on skin protectants.
More of Hand Eczema
Hand eczema can affect the backs of your hands or the palms. It often starts as a mild complaint by can become increasingly severe and persistent. The affected skin in the early stages is usually itchy, red and dry. In later stages, this is followed by the appearance of small fluid filled blisters. In severe cases the skin may become cracked, swollen and my also start to weep. This can lead to secondary bacterial infections resulting in pustules, crusting and pain. One common secondary infection is Staphylococcus aureus. Although hand eczema is not contagious, if a secondary infection is present, the infection can be contagious to others.
Hand Eczema Facts:
- Eczema usually refers to a range of persistent or recurring skin rashes, itching and dryness.
- Eczema is a form of dermatitis , or inflammation of the upper layers of skin.
- Eczema can affect people of any age, although the condition is most common in infants, and about 85% of those affected have an onset prior to 5 years of age.
- Symptoms will almost always cause your skin to become uncontrollably itchy.
- Eczema on any part of the body may be irritating and painful.
- Eczema cure is quite easy when you know exactly what to do.
- Eczema cures depend on correct diagnosis of the type of eczema.