What Are The Symptoms Of Poison Ivy Reaction?

What Are The Symptoms Of Poison Ivy Reaction?

The signs and symptoms of poison ivy rash depend on every individual. Sensitivity of the individual is one factor and the severity of exposure is another one. Some of the individuals exposed will not have a reaction right away; it will take them several days yet before having a reaction. But some are highly sensitive that they develop symptoms right away even just after a mild exposure and some also develop severe symptoms which are life threatening. Below are the different signs and symptoms of poison ivy rash.

The rashes usually occur twenty four to forty eight hours after the exposure to poison ivy. Some people may show the symptoms earlier while for some, it would take them several days yet to have the rashes.

Symptoms of poison ivy rash: Intense itching on the affected areas is notable.

You may also notice redness or streaks on your skin.  Hives or urticaria is noticeable also. It is a pruritic skin eruption characterized by transient wheals of varying shapes and sizes with well-defined erythematous margins and pale centers, caused by capillary dilatation in the dermis that results from the release of vasoactive mediators, including histamine, kinin, and the slow, reactive substance of anaphylaxis associated with antigen-antibody reaction.

Symptoms of poison ivy rash: Swelling is very noticeable also on the affected areas.

Outbreak of fluid-filled blisters in varying sizes, some small and others large and they often form streaks. This outbreak occurs at different times in different people. Some develop on the arms first and then for several days the blisters appear on the hand, it varies. And you should not worry about the fluid that leaks for it does not spread the poison to other parts of your body.

Symptoms of poison ivy rash: The skin is crusting which means the blisters burst already.

Other people are highly sensitive to poison ivy and may have severe reactions or anaphylactic shock when exposed to it. Some may have inhaled the smoke of burnt poison ivy which is very dangerous and life threatening since it goes into the lungs and the urushiol may be absorbed systemically. Anaphylaxis is an exaggerated hypersensitivity reaction to a previously encountered antigen. The response, which is mediated by antibodies of the IgE class of immunoglobulins, causes the release of histamine, kinin, and substances that affect smooth muscle. The reaction may be a localized wheal and flare of generalized itching, hyperemia, angioneurotic edema, and in severe cases vascular collapse, bronchospasm, and shock. The severity of symptoms depends on the original sensitizing dose of the antigen, the amount and distribution of antibodies, and the route of entry and size of the dose of antigen producing anaphylaxis.